Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A home or property owner's worst nightmare can be a fire breaking out on their property. Though the immediate concern during a fire should always be the safety of you and others on your property, what do you do once the flames have been put out?
To feel better prepared in the event of a fire, take a few minutes to read through our Fire Damage Tips below. These tips can help guide you after a fire while you wait for our SERVPRO of San Diego East team to arrive and help!
Our crew is always available to assist after a fire, don't hesitate and call us today!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (619) 280-2377
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.